Saturday, July 7, 2012

The Pregnancy Cravings Begin

Thankfully I seem to be past the stage where trying to eat seems like a chore. You know, that stage where nothing sounds good, but you know you'll feel better if you eat something? But you want it to be the right thing so that you don't feel lousy later? I found that loading up on protein really seemed to help the nausea. Cooking is still exhausting, though!

The random cravings have begun. I haven't started craving pork in various forms like I did in my last pregnancy. I've covered cranberry juice, Brown Sugar Cinnamon Pop Tarts and Froot Loops. And Wavy Lays. Tonight I'll knock out my chicken fettucini alfredo longing. I have to endure my craving for Runts. There are no Runts. I've checked two USAFE bases, including those sketchy quarter candy machines at the BX. I suppose it will be empowering to make it through this one.

These cravings always take me by surprise. I typically eat healthfully. Lots of fruit and veg. Rarely junk food. But when I want KFC mashed potatoes or Little Caesar's Crazy Bread when I'm pregnant? I can't help myself. Suddenly all of these unhealthy foods from my childhood become irresistible.

It took a few of these cravings in my last pregnancy to understand how fleeting they are. How just a few bites of something really is all I'm after. It worked out well for my coworkers when I would bring in the leftovers of, say, Golden Grahams S'mores bars.

The fun ended in my last pregnancy when my little guy started kicking me in the gall bladder. It took a while to discover that I couldn't eat anything with more than 8 grams of fat or a ton of citrus or fiber (unless I wanted to spend the day with a massive pain under my right shoulder blade that wouldn't go away). Suddenly I wanted to eat my usual staples of almonds and fruit and string cheese and peanut butter but couldn't. Bummer.

I intend to indulge my cravings in moderation unless or until doing so makes me feel lousy. And I'm setting one ground rule: No special trips to the commissary for junk food!  My energy is starting to return (but only with the sun, it seems), so I intend to walk the dog and get back to exercising a bit to justify the indulgence even more.

What about you? Are you having any strange pregnancy cravings? Are you indulging?

No comments:

Post a Comment